The first time I saw you guys was at SOS festival in Radcliffe and couple of years ago. I remember you jumping off the stage and chasing me out of the hall. You scared the living daylights out of me!!! I believe that you are a teacher; do you chase your pupils out of the classroom when they are misbehaving?
My pleasure! I remember – you looked terrified, I felt really bad! I manage the exclusion unit in our school, so my job is to look after pupils that have done something particularly naughty….so more often than not I’m chasing them into my unit rather than out!
I believe you teach music. Do you teach your pupils how to sing like yourself?
I actually don’t teach music. No, but the pupils are always asking me to demonstrate what I do in Bloodyard!
I’ve tried to growl like you, but it makes my throat tickle. How do you actually sing like that? Is there a technique so you don’t hurt your vocal chords? I would love to be able to growl like that. Can you teach me so I can scare my Dad???
It took me a LOT of practice to be able to do it without hurting myself. The trick is to use your tummy muscles to push out the noise and that takes some of the stress away from your throat. Drinking lots of water to keep your vocal chords hydrated is very important, too – as much as you can!
You won through to play at Bloodstock last year. Wow, that must have been amazing! How did you guys feel about it? I bet you weren’t sober by the end of it!!!! Is this one of your best achievements as a band so far?
Ah, yes! That was so exciting for us as we are massive fans of the festival! We were absolutely made up to have been chosen to play, and even more so when Scuzz TV chose us to run a feature comparing our experience to that year’s headliners (Trivium).
Your last EP, Darker Rage, was released in March 2015. Are there any plans for a new EP anytime soon?
Absolutely! We have loads of new material written and on the drawing board, and we plan on slowing down the gigging schedule a bit and make time to get some of it recorded as soon as possible!
Who would you say your main influences are, and who do you like listening to in your spare time? Do you have any guilty pleasures such as being a secret Take That fan?
As a vocalist I’d probably say Randy Blythe is my biggest influence, but for the band as a whole we draw from a really wide variety of influences, which perhaps is what gives us such a diverse sound. I don’t have too much in the way of guilty pleasures really – I listen to all sorts of rock and metal and very little else! Probably the most surprising for people would be Pink, I enjoy quite a lot of her music.
Have you any favourite band that you like playing with?
We’re really spoiled for really good bands that are made up of great people in this area! I always love to gig with All Consumed, Deified, Footprints In The Custard, Triverse Massacre, Another Dead Hero, Impavidus….haha! So many bands!
Is there any venue that you would really like to perform at that you have never played before?
Aw, there’s loads still! I’m not sure there’s any one iconic venue as such that we want to play, we just want to keep reaching out to new areas of the country and spreading our noise around, really!
Is there anyone in the music world that you would like to put in the rubbish bin and why?
Gimmick bands! Not one’s who play good music, too – but the ones that are just a gimmick and mediocre (at best) musically. I just don’t get it and for some reason it bugs me! Haha!
What have you guys got planned for the future? Any big news that you would like to tell your fans about?
New music, more gigs – hopefully in new areas and touching base with places we haven’t been for a while! Biggest news I can share with you would be that we are playing the Hard Rock Hell show at Birmingham Academy in February! Super exciting for us to be on the same bill as Skindred, Sodom, Evile, Raging Speedhorn, Lawnmower Deth, Winterfylleth, HELL, Senser, Feed the Rhino, and so many more! We can’t wait!
Jovi Hacker (12)
- KNOCK OUT KAINE – 16 GRAMS OF HEART ATTACK
- MARYTREE – HUNGRY LUNG
- SOUND OF ORIGIN – SEEDS OF THE PAST
- NYCOSIA – MISCOMMUNICATION
- BEHOLDER – ARMY OF ONE
- ACCEPT – FAST AS A SHARK (Blast from the past, 1982)
- IRON MAIDEN – THE PRISONER (Blast from the past, 1982)
- ABSOLVA – ONLY WHEN IT’S OVER
- MARYTREE – DUCK AND COVER
- THIN LIZZY – EMERALD
- AC/DC – TOUCH TOO MUCH
- KIKAMORA – THEM AND US
- PILGRIM – SHAME
- L.A. GUNS – OVER THE EDGE (Blast from the past, 1991)
- MOTORHEAD – LOVE ME FOREVER (Blast from the past, 1991)
- MARYTREE – SQUAWK
- BOREALIS – THE DAWNING LIGHT
- THE WILDHEARTS – DANGERLUST
- BLACK WHISKEY – ALL SEEING EYE
- MARYTREE – HURRY
- FAHRAN – SILVER SCENE
- REIGN OF FURY – ALL IS LOST
- THE ONE TO SING THE BLUES
- DAMAGE CASE
- I KNOW HOW TO DIE
- STAY CLEAN
- I’LL BE YOUR SISTER
- ALL THE ACES
- LOST WOMAN BLUES
- (WE ARE) THE ROAD CREW
- DOCTOR ROCK
- KILLED BY DEATH
- WIZZ WIZZARD – REFLECTIONS FROM HELL
- CHRIS APPLETON/WIZZ WIZZARD – I SEE RED (acoustic)
- PLEASE DON’T TOUCH
- TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE
- ACE OF SPADES (slow acoustic)
- DEAF FOREVER
- THE WOLF
- IRON HORSE/BORN TO LOSE
- WHEN THE SKY COMES LOOKING FOR YOU
- IN THE NAME OF TRAGEDY
- THUNDER AND LIGHTNING
- DOG-FACE BOY
- TIL THE END
- TWISTED ILLUSION – HATRED IS A VIRTUE
- MARYTREE – WHATEVER
- BLAZE BAYLEY – CRAZY CHRISTMAS
- ASYLUM CITY ZOO – SOBER
- BEYOND SALVATION – ASCENSION
- TACTUS – AURORA
- ALICE COOPER & FRIENDS – SANTA CLAWS IS COMING TO TOWN
- DEMISE OF THE CROWN – BLACK RAIN
- MESHIAAK – CHRONICLES OF THE DEAD
- iDESTROY – STATE OF THE ART
- DIE NOE MORE – THE ENEMY WITHIN
- RONNIE JAMES DIO & FRIENDS – GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN
- DAKESIS – TO CONQUER OR DIE
- CHUCK BILLY & FRIENDS – SILENT NIGHT
- BLACK ABSINTHE – WINTER
- GHOST – SQUARE HAMMER
- KILMINSTER, GIBBONS & GROHL – RUN RUDOLPH RUN
- IMPAVIDUS – HEAVEN’S GATE
- KREPITUS – THE DECREE OF THEODOSEUS
- TWISTED SISTER – HEAVY METAL CHRISTMAS
- RED CAIN – GUILLOTINE
- PRIMITAI – CONCLUSION FOREGONE
Bad Llama – Shedding Skin E.P
Track 1 – The Healer.
Sounds like sound effects are used at the start of the track to make a mysterious opening. It’s quite mellow; good opening track to the E.P.
Track 2 – The Wolf You Feed
This is a bit more rocky than the first track. A quite catchy song, with a bit of growling going on at times.
Track 3 -Paint In Sound
A mid tempo rock track with hints of indie. I can imagine people dancing to this track.
Track 4 – Ten Years Time.
There is a ballad feel to this song. The singer has a lot of emotion in his voice. A nice track to chill out to.
Overall this is a good E.P. It would be good to just sit and chill out to.
I will give it 7/10.
I would recommend it to fans of Biffy Clyro.
Jovi Hacker (12)
- TRIAXIS – STAND YOUR GROUND
- DARK MESSIAH – NO SOUL TO SELL
- DAMAGE LIMIT – NO REASON
- JUDAS PRIEST – YOU’VE GOT ANOTHER THING COMING
- SAXON – DALLAS 1pm
- INTERVIEW – MARYTREE
- MARYTREE – WHATEVER
- CHASING DRAGONS – BROKEN JAWS
- IRON MAIDEN – STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND
- EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER – FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN
- RUSH – RED BARCHETTA
- DAKESIS – THE GREAT INSURRECTION
- TRIAXIS – DYING SUN
- TWISTED SISTER – WE’RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT
- MOTORHEAD – KILLED BY DEATH
- BIGFOOT – OTHER SIDE OF PARADISE
- TRUCKER DIABLO – FIGHTING FOR EVERYTHING
- DEVIN TOWNSEND – FAST AS A SHARK
- MANOWAR – BATTLE HYMN
- ABSOLVA – NEVER BACK DOWN
- AMON AMARTH – UNDER SIEGE
- CIVIL WAR – DELIVERANCE
- Blast from the past, 1997: BRUCE DICKINSON – ACCIDENT OF BIRTH
- Blast from the past, 1997: IN THE WOODS – I AM YOUR FLESH
- DIE NO MORE – DESTRUCTION COMPLETE
- KNOCK OUT KAINE – FLYING HIGH
- ORACLE – BENEATH THE CRIMSON VEIL
- DAMAJ – THE TESTAMENT OF JUDAS
- TROLLWAR – OMENS OF VICTORY
- DEMISE OF THE CROWN – COLD DEAD EYES
- Blast from the past, 1985: DOKKEN – LIGHTNING STRIKES AGAIN
- Blast from the past,1985: W.A.S.P. – BLIND IN TEXAS
- SABATON – METAL CRUE
- DEVILMENT – JudasStein
- IRON MAIDEN – THE WICKER MAN
- ATTICA RAGE – IN MY DREAMS
- MOTORHEAD – ORGASMATRON
- QUEENSRYCHE – EYES OF A STRANGER
- THE NEW ROSES – WHAT IF IT WAS YOU
- FLORENCE BLACK – ZULU
GOD SHAPED DEVIL – CREATOR OF SODOM EP.
Track 1: Lobotomy
The EP starts off with an instrumental track, which features a cool repeated riff.
Track 2: Continuum
The intro leads into shouty vocals. A good mixture of clean and shouty vocals. It has cool guitar riffs and pounding drums throughout the track. A great song to headbang to.
Track 3: Creator of Sodom
The title track of the EP. Again heavy guitars and pounding drums. A very catchy chorus. It’s quite easy to imagine the crowd singing along because of the simple catchy words.
Track 4: Rage inside
A track similar to the previous tracks, but with more clean vocals. I like the guitar solo in this one. A very bouncy track that will get you moving.
Track 5: Pray for Death
Great drum beat that gets you nodding along. Some nice changes of feel, from clean to growl then back to clean. Another really good guitar solo in this song. Nice gentle outro.
Released: 6th November 2015
For fans of Pantera
Self released EP.
Rated 8.5 / 10
Jovi Hacker (12)